Terms & Conditions of Purchase and Ownership
Note: Abacus is a trademark of Tarzan Furniture Limited.
The following terms and conditions explain what you should expect when buying and owning our products.
Each product falls into one of the following categories, each with its own set of terms and conditions of purchase and ownership:
Category 1 – Real Oak Tables
These are tables with oak tops up to 65mm thick, made from single pieces of kiln-dried oak or man-made materials. These include the Komodo, Iguana, Scorpion, Strata and Piranha tables and benches.
Category 2 – Oak Beam Tables
These are tables that contain oak beams approximately up to 300mm thick, which have been partially dried. These include the Arabica, Mantis, Chameleon and Pedestal tables.
Category 3 – Chairs
These are made by Hussl and the terms and conditions can be seen by clicking here.
Terms of Purchase
1 – To confirm a table order we take 100% payment of the order total, including delivery and VAT. The following terms and conditions apply upon receipt of 100% payment which completes the sales agreement / contract.
2 – For your peace of mind, all standard table designs come with a 30 day money-back guarantee. This is in accordance with (and over and above the requirement of) The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 and applies to all of our products including bespoke items.
4 – If you are purchasing a table for outside mainland UK, we will honor this guarantee (and our full aftercare service described below) to any address in mainland UK. That means you are responsible for the transportation of the table to and from the UK mainland, we will be responsible for any collection, remedial work or re-delivery within the UK mainland.
4 – Typical lead time is 8-10 weeks maximum, however we always aim to minimise this duration. Please ask if you have specific needs.
Product Category 1 – Real Oak Tables & Benches (Komodo, Iguana, Scorpion, Piranha)
1. Cracking in the wood
The table tops are made from single pieces of solid oak. Cracking is not common but it should be expected as the oak acclimatises to indoor conditions and breathes naturally, therefore contracting or expanding slightly depending on the time of year. New tables may develop these cracks at the ends and along the oak pieces as they acclimatise to indoor conditions. If you are unhappy with the condition of the cracks we will restore (fill and finish) them professionally for you after the acclimatisation has finished (which depends on the time of year). Cracks under 1mm in width are too fine to fill and part of the natural character of real oak tables.
2. Natural features
We select our oak for its natural beauty, so you should expect knots and other natural features of the wood to be visible. These will be left in their natural state unless specifically asked to do otherwise by the table owner at the time of order.
3. Plank Width & Edges
The width of oak planks in any table top may vary, but all pieces will be a minimum of 180mm wide. Because our live-edge tables have a 100% natural edge, we’re unable to offer “more” or “less” degrees of live-edge. For anyone who doesn’t want a 100% live-edge, we offer a straight / square edge or knife / chamfered edge table top options.
4. Overall Table Width
Because the live-edge of a table undulates, the finished table width in a live edge table top may be +/-5% of the specified width at the time of order. Over time, the oak may also shrink slightly (up to 5%) across the grain, or width, of the table.
5. Gaps in Planks
Because of the seasonal movement in the oak planks, due to their natural breathing throughout the year, gaps may develop between the planks. The table structure is designed so the planks can be loosened by the owner and pushed back together. This may eliminate the gaps, or simply reduce them, but the table will maintain 100% of its strength and integrity. Gaps may develop between planks as the table ages, this is simply due to the nature of real oak pieces of this size breathing and adapting to their environment. If you would like any gaps removing from your table, we offer a service to our customers to do this at cost price and can provide a quote on request.
6. Differences in Colour
Because we use 100% natural oak, differences in the colour within a plank and between planks are to be expected, but we always aim to select oak from the same tree to keep these natural variations to a minimum.
7. Colour Matching
Because of the individual nature of each plank, we are unable to offer exact colour-matching in the finish of the table to an existing piece of furniture. We are happy to use a particular finish that we don’t offer as standard, just ask at the time of ordering for details.
8. Staining and Marking
The oak finish provides a level of protection against staining and marking, but the finish can mark and stain. So we advise using placemats and coasters 100% of the time to avoid this issue. (see “Owner Care & Maintenance” for stain removal). If your table is accidentally marked or damaged we can help, so get in touch with some photos to find out your options.
9. Glass Spec
All glass supplied with Abacus tables is 10mm toughened to European safety standard to prevent shattering. This means it is able to support any reasonable amount of weight from common indoor living room items, but extra care should be taken when removing or moving the glass as the edges can chip. If you chip a piece of glass we would be happy to provide a price for a replacement.
10. Restoration Work
Our tables are designed so that if any part of the table is damaged it can be removed and repaired, or if necessary replaced. If your table isn’t covered by, or is outside of the 5 year cover period of the Premier Care, warranty (optional extra), we can provide a quote for any repair damage on request.
11. Marks on Legs
The stainless steel bases come in a brushed finish as standard. This finish can be damaged with impact from another object, but can be restored by hand using the correct brushing pads. Please contact us for any recommendations on how to do this.
12. Stainless Spec
The stainless steel used to make our table bases is 304 grade. That means it is resistant to corrosion if kept clean and moisture-free. A stainless steel cleaning product should be used on a regular (monthly) basis to maintain their condition and they should always (daily) be checked and kept dry.
13. Painted Finish
Our powder coated (painted) table bases can be chipped with impact from another object. Any damage should be repaired (touched-up) by a professional to avoid corrosion of the parent steel.
14. Farmhouse table
Our oak-base tables are susceptible (as all oak is) to seasonal movement and slight shrinkage over time. The design allows this to happen, but the table top planks may need occasional adjustment (loosening-repositioning-tightening) to maintain the table’s appearance.
Product Category 2 – Oak Beam Tables (Arabica, Mantis, Chameleon, Pedestal)
1 – As we use 100% natural oak beams, the appearance of each table will be unique. This means we are unable to replicate the features and exact coloring of a particular table in a photo on the website.
1a- Colour Finish – The images across the site are intended to give an indication of the variation in the finished appearance of the tables, however due to the unique nature of light levels we are unable to colour-match based on photographs. If you require a specific colour or finish then please provide the product and application that you would like us to use on your table.
1b – Natural Features – Every beam is unique and will have its own unique features. As a result, we cannot guarantee what natural features will appear in the beams of any table, but we will always strive to get as close as our stock allows us, to any particular requirement that you have. Based on the photos online, when a table is new or as it ages, you can expect any or all the following features in your table: wide splits (up to 20mm) and cracks, natural colour variations (from white / cream to dark brown) within a single beam and between beams, knots (left unfilled or filled depending on structural needs to solidify the area), curves or chamfers along beam edges, undulations in the beam surface and edges, areas of varying texture or sheen level (from rougher matt areas to shiny glossy areas), depressions or gouges in beam surfaces either from their origins in the forest (too deep to remove without compromising the natural appearance of the surface) or from the removal of unsightly features during the manufacturing process.
2 – As the oak beams are partially dried before the tables are made, it is likely that cracks, knots and natural features will be present in the table when new . Cracks may widen within the first 12 months up to 20mm as the table acclimatises to your home. Beams may twist and raised areas may develop across the surface. This is to be expected with any oak beam table over 3″ thick. Abacus oak beam tables are approximately 5″ thick (115mm).
3 – You have 30 days from receiving your table to inform us if your with to return it, if you are not satisfied that the table(s) you have received meets the expectations described on this website including these terms and conditions. We will arrange collection of the table on the next available delivery to your area which may be any time up to 10 weeks away in England or Wales or 3 months in Scotland. Any rectification / modification work will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. If no agreement can be made to modify / restore the table to your requirements, the full balance will be refunded within 14 days after collection of the table and inspection back at the workshop.
4 – You should care for your table by dusting (or soft-brush vacuuming) once every 1-2 weeks. You can wipe the surfaces clean with a damp cloth, then immediately drying the surface. We will provide you with a cleaning spray and bottle of the finish (if one of our standard finishes) to maintain your table week to week and year to year.
5. The table is finished in a stain-resistant coating but it is not stain-proof. Coasters should always be used under cups and place-mats used under plates to protect the table surface from scratching, moisture and heat. If anything is spilled on the table it should be dried immediately, then wiped clean with a damp cloth and dried again to remove any residual moisture. If the table stains it can always be repaired so please don’t worry, either by you for light stains or by a professional. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with photos and we’ll provide options for you. For re-coating of the protective finish, for highly used tables like coffee and kitchen tables we advise applying another coat of finish after the first 6 months, then every 12 months after that to maintain the level of protection. For lower-traffic tables like TV and occasional dining tables, we recommend applying a new coat of finish every 12-24 months, or whenever you feel the surface needs to be refreshed. Our tables are finished as standard with Blanchon Hard Waxoil.
6. As the oak beams dry out in the warm dry home environment, there will be movement in the beams which mostly takes place in the first 12 months. Some minor movement may take place after this due to the seasonal change in humidity in the home. As the oak loses moisture it shrinks across the grain, causing cracks to appear and / or widen and the beams to potentially twist (detailed in item 2 above). Abacus tables are designed specifically to allow this movement to take place without any unnatural constraint of the beams, so whatever state the beams are in is their natural dry resting state, so a table will always look natural and maintain the maximum level of their natural strength. The table top beams are fitted with 4 adjustable threaded supports (feet) so that if a beam develops a wobble, its supports can be adjusted manually to correct the wobble. If any steps between beams develop due to settling / acclimatisation, the adjustable bolts can be used to level these steps. If any cracks open up and a sharp edge becomes a concern, we can supply a small kit for you to quickly sand the edge smooth by hand and re-coat the area with the same finish used on the table. TFL cannot be held responsible for any cuts, splinters or scrapes as a result of cracks or sharp edges not being smoothed out. Please note that positioning a table close to a heat source or on underfloor heating is likely to accelerate the rate and degree of any shrinkage, cracking or warping movement that may take place in oak.
7. The Nature of oak beams is that they are likely to move as they age, its impossible to predict the degree to which this will occur and when you purchase an oak beam table you are accepting that the table beams may change shape. As mentioned in item 6 above, the beams in each tables are fitted with adjustabIe bolts to correct any wobbles or steps between beams. But it is impossible to guarantee that the edges or faces of beams will remain straight and flat as the beams age. However, if you choose to, due to the unique construction of our oak beam tables we can restore the machined straight, square edges and faces of the beams after the beams have settled (minimum 12 months after installation). If you are interested in having beam restoration work done, then please get in touch with photos and we’ll advise on your options. This may involve a technician visit in your home (which we do not charge for) or if necessary a collection of the table for refurbishment back at the workshop. Refurbishment work is charged at cost price only and we are happy to give an estimated cost before purchase and / or an accurate cost based on photos before the work is carried out. We’ll always aim to get the table back to you as quickly as possible but this may take up to 10 weeks depending on your location in England and Wales, or 3 months in Scotland. Please Note: Table refurbishment may reduce the width, thickness and height of the table by up to 12% as the surfaces need to be planed straight so there will be some material loss.
8. Because of the weight of the beams and the nature of the drying oak, Abacus oak beam tables are help together under their own weight using a series of grooves, rails and feet. This allows them to be taken apart very quickly to be moved around. Please take extra care when lifting the beams, we advise that 2 people should always be used to lift any beam with normal best-lifting practices (bent legs and straight back). We can not be responsible for any injuries or personal or property damage caused when lifting, moving or dropping any table or beam. We advise that when moving a table, always take off the top beams and move the legs (and glass) separately, then place the top pieces back on the legs. No tools are required, it is very quick for 2 people to do. Smaller tables (up to 3 beams, up to 1m long) may be slid along the floor by 2 people, but should always be pushed by the base pieces simultaneously, never pushed by the top of the table. If you would like any advice before moving a table or re-assembling, please contact us at email@example.com.
8a. All Abacus tables are designed for purpose and NOT to support the weight of any person or child. TFL can not be held responsible for any accident, injury or damage to property that occurs as a result of a person attempting to support any part of their body on the table. If you have a particular concern about children or anyone susceptible to this risk please discuss it with us at the time of order so we can incorporate any necessary additional design measures into your table.
9. All glass supplied with Abacus tables is 10mm toughened to European safety standard to prevent shattering. This means it is able to support any reasonable amount of weight from common indoor living room items, but extra care should be taken when removing or moving the glass as the edges can chip. If you chip a piece of glass we would be happy to provide a price for a replacement.
By purchasing a table from Abacus Tables (Tarzan Furniture Limited) you accept these terms and conditions of the sale agreement. If you would like any further info about any of these terms and conditions before purchasing please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GET OUR FULL PRICE LIST BROCHURE
Includes the prices of all of our designs in the most popular sizes and options
Tel: 01752 936123
Company No. 8305747
FCA Licence: 346229191
VAT No. 758494757
Registered Office Address:
4 Belmont Crescent
Berkshire SL6 6LW
Copyright © Abacus Tables Limited 2017